Thursday, October 7, 2010

Me? Sleep? Noooooo....

Sleeping is a problem, and I indulge in it too much. I think I should add it to my interests, I sleep that often. The reason for sleep is to process thoughts, heal the body, and I guess you could say it helps pass the time. What if we could go our entire lives without sleeping? What would we be able to do? I ask this under the assumption that we would have no need to sleep, that our minds and bodies needed no period of rest to recover from our daily ventures.

For one I think we would be better suited to view all the beauty in the world around us. Half of the people in this world(actually probably a lot more than half) get up early and are allowed to witness the beauty of a morning, but they must also go to bed within a reaosnable time so as to get sufficient sleep. Whereas the other "half" stays up late into the night and is able to witness the beauty of the stars and the moonlit night as the city lights go out and clear up the sky. If we didn't have to sleep, we could witness all of this unhindered. Another benefit to no sleep is that we would never oversleep, never be late to class or work or church because our alarm didn't go off to wake us up.

On the downside, we would never have an excuse to be late. We would have to be awake, conscious, when we are injured. Think of all the medical procedures that require putting the patient to sleep, we would be conscious through all of that. And while the doctor could probably make it painless with various drugs, we could still see(and imagine) what is happening as it is happening. And on a similar note, we would be awake when we die, no going in our sleep.

We could keep working through the night, we wouldn't have to worry about getting to sleep before an exam, we could study right up to the time we have to take it. And on the downside to that, the Go-Po wouldn't have to sleep, so they would be ever vigilant in theit search for hooligans in the night(not that I am one of those hooligans ;)).

So I sleep too much, but I don't like to go to bed. I'm a night person, I like to stay up as late as possible, and sleep in as late as possible. I guess you could say I'm a late person, because I am late to virtually everything, its in my nature. And oddly enough, its a part of my nature that I like about myself. But back to sleep, it doesn't matter how much I sleep, I'm always tired when I wake up, anybody else feel like that? And this last paragraph has been more of a ramble, so since I have little else to say, I'll end here.

No comments:

Post a Comment