Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Food for Thought

This post will probably be updated with comments or something like that now and again. But a question that came to me during my Christian Formation class as we talked briefly about Rene Descartes was this: In his statement "I think therefore I am.", was Descartes asserting some claim to divinity with the use of the phrase "I am"?? He was a man of the Christian faith, to the shock of many, and his philosophical ideas were intended to further man's knowledge of, and ability to know, God. And so I am wondering if he intentionally used that phrase in his philosophy, in an attempt to draw the image of man closer to the image of God.

1 comment:

  1. And to reflect on this a little further, it would be the idea that because we are capable of thought, of reflecting, of contemplating our own existence; it is this that points us to a Creator, to God, to Someone greater than ourselves who would have given us this ability to begin with. "I think therefore I am" could indicate that our own ability to think points us to God and demonstrates a sharing in His image.

    ReplyDelete