Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Attractions

What is the basis for attraction between people? I have heard many different theories. I have heard that women are more likely to be attracted to a man that smells similar to her father. This might have been the case at one point, but unfortuantely with deodorants and perfumes and whatnot it is difficult to tell who smells like what. And perhaps this is why there is so much divorce? Women are attracted to a man because he wears the same deodorant as her dad, and it turns out that his real smell is much different. This would be more subconscious, and I don't think it is the case.

I have also heard that the predestination theories. That God predetermined who will be with who. Honestly, I would like to hold to this theory, because it gives me hope that there is someone out there for me, someone that I am meant to be with. However, this is less about attraction and more about predestination, so I don't this theory works either.

Personally, I have felt attracted to many different girls, and as far as I can consciously tell, they do not all have one particular thing in common. I have noticed that even with those crushes, the attraction would change based heavily on appearance. Maybe not looks, but clothing choice, hair styles, that kind of thing. I have noticed that I prefer pony tails(I don't know why, I just do), the same goes with flannel shirts, sweat shirts, bathing suits(who doesn't like bathing suits?), and this is all clothing choice(with the exception of the pony tails). This is what brought me to this subject. What do we base our attractions on? Are there more than one kind of attraction? I think so.

I think there are at least 2 kinds of attraction. Physical and emotional. With physical attraction, I am attracted to a pretty face, a hot body, smell, sound, etc. This can also take the form of the actions of another person, or the amount of time spent with them. This last somewhat transfers into the other kind of attraction, emotional. With emotional attraction, I see it as an attraction to the spirit, ideas, or emotions of another person. In this case, the more time you spend someone(typically of the opposite gender, I don't want to go into homosexuality in this post) the more likely you are to be attracted to them. At the same time, if you are already attracted to the person, you are more likely to become more attracted to them. This is not always the case, but it seems to hold true in most situations.

So with the physical attraction, how we get those predispositions to certain hair styles or clothing choices? Why do I like pony tails more than wearing hair down? Why do I like flannel shirts instead of T-shirts? I mean, you could make some deductions from those, but I know people who hate flannel-wearing people. So where do we get these attractions?

I still don't know, but I'm going to continue to ask the question until I find an answer, either within myself or from someone else or somewhere. Hopefully I have left you with some questions, because I don't want you to follow this blog, and I figure if I confuse you, you will stop reading my posts...

No comments:

Post a Comment